Are school books and supplies provided?

Textbooks are provided by your school and must be returned upon completion of each course. Students are responsible for their own supplies including pens, paper, notebooks and/or binders, gym clothes and other supplementary items as required by the teacher in each course.

Are there recreational opportunities available for international students?

Yes! The Rocky Mountain International Student Program organizes a variety of activities, trips and events for international students throughout the school year.

Can I attend a North American college or university after graduation?

Yes, provided you meet the admission criteria of the post-secondary institution to which you are applying. Good grades, strong references and a demonstrated level of English proficiency (e.g. TOEFL or IELTS score) are usually required.

Can I drive while participating in the program?

Students participating in the homestay program and for whom the International Education Manager is legal guardian cannot drive while participating in the Rocky Mountain International Student Program. 

Can I travel while participating in the program?

Yes. Students may travel with a designated host adult or School District staff with prior approval of their International Program Coordinator and written permission from their natural parents or guardians.

Do I need to bring my own electronic devices?

Laptops: Schools have computers or laptops for you to borrow during school time, but you may want to bring your own laptop if you typically do a lot of homework on your laptop after school hours.

Cell phones: It is mandatory for RMISP students to activate and maintain a Canadian cell phone account while in the program. So, you can either bring a cell phone from your home country (and purchase a Canadian SIM card for it when you arrive), OR you can purchase a cell phone when you arrive in Canada.

Do I need to speak fluent English to attend school in RMISP?

No. While some English-language ability is, of course, beneficial, none is required to participate in our program.

How do I apply for the program?

Detailed information on the application process is available on this website. Click here for more information.

How do I obtain a study permit?

Study permits are issued by IRCC, usually from the Canadian Embassy or Consulate nearest to your home. If your application to study in RMISP is accepted, we will provide your agency with the required documentation to apply for your study permit.

How long can I study in RMISP?

Students participating in the Rocky Mountain International Student Program can study for as long as they like provided they are 19 years of age or younger. We have students coming for one semester (five months), a full school year (ten months) as well as students coming to graduate (two to three years).

Is there a minimum age for participants in your program?

Yes. Students must be a minimum of 12 years of age and in Grade 7 to participate in the Rocky Mountain International Student Program and be placed in a homestay. Younger students are welcome but they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian and live with them.

What school will I attend?

The International Education Manager will choose the school you attend based on your application package and space availability at each school. It is in your best interest to apply as soon as possible if you have a strong preference for a particular school.

When are schools open in RMISP?

Our schools are open from the beginning of September until the end of June. There are breaks at Christmas (two weeks) and for Spring Break in March (two weeks).

When should I arrive in RMISP?

Students beginning their studies in September or in February must arrive in time for our student orientation. We have designated approved arrival and departure dates that can be found on our Mini Calendar

Who will I live with in Canada?

Students requiring homestays are placed with carefully-selected host families. All of our homestays are safe, clean, pre-screened Canadian family homes. Placements are supervised and supported by a designated Homestay Coordinator in each community. Students may also live with a parent or guardian if one accompanies them to Canada.

Will I be covered by medical insurance?

Yes, all RMISP students will have medical coverage while they are in the program. You will receive a medical insurance card and a copy of your policy shortly after you arrive. You can find out more about coverage from your Homestay Coordinator and in your Student Handbook when you arrive.

Will I receive a British Columbia graduation diploma upon completion of the program?

Students who meet the requirements for graduation will receive the Dogwood Diploma. This usually requires 2 – 3 years of full-time study at the Grade 11 and 12 levels.